Kate and Laura Mulleavy presented their Fall 2016 Rodarte collection today at New York Fashion Week. The sisters’ collection riffed on their longstanding motifs—see ruffles, crystals, and dark romance—while adding some new ideas, like slick leather outerwear, into the mix. Here, the seven talking points of the show while you wait for Maya Singer‘s review.
1. Bureau Betak designed the set, which was comprised of pink and red fluorescent lights, mirrors, heaps of dirt, and bunches of flowers. When it started smoking, the crowd freaked out until Rodarte’s PR rep assured us that it was entirely planned.
2. Longtime Rodarte muse Kirsten Dunst sat front row, as did Tessa Thompson and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
3. Kiki Willems opened the show in a black patent leather jacket and lacy skirt.
4. The show’s palette was mostly black and white with a few hints of crimson.
5. Try to find a woman who doesn’t want one of the house’s multicolored goat fur jackets.
6. Real flower jewelry was made in collaboration with florist Joseph Free, and adorned models’ hair, as well as their ears and arms.
7. Backstage, makeup artist James Kaliardos gave models deep burgundy pouts, while hairstylist Odile Gilbert twisted their hair into romantic chignons or half-up ’dos.
Read More From Fashion — Vogue Categories — Vogue