History meets bagel.
The team behind Russ & Daughters opened a branch of the 102-year-old institution in the Jewish Museum today. This is the company’s first location outside of the Lower East Side. “We are thrilled to be partnering with the Jewish Museum,” says owner Niki Russ Federman, “As stewards of New York culture and Jewish culture, both of our institutions appreciate that our role in preserving tradition also means embracing change.”
First to open on the Upper East Side is the bagel and fish purveyor’s 70-seat, sit-down restaurant. The take-out counter located on the Museum’s lower level is set to open in the coming weeks. The new location’s all-kosher menu — a first for the company — is serving classics from the original Russ & Daughters shop as well as the Cafe on Orchard Street including smoked fish platters, knishes, herring, salads, soups, and egg creams. The restaurant and counter will also serve bagels, bialys, and babka that the Russ & Daughters crew is baking itself for the first time out of the company’s new Brooklyn production space.
Russ & Daughters opened at 179 East Houston Street in 1914 and became widely known for its smoked fish, bagels, traditional baked goods, and specialty foods. Now in its fourth-generation of ownership, Russ & Daughters shows no signs of slowing down. Last month owners Niki Russ Federman and Josh Russ Tupper announced plans to open a huge space in Brooklyn Navy Yard. Stay tuned for photos of Russ & Daughters at the Jewish Museum this week.
Read More From Eater NY – All